Re-working Triggers

So far version Alpha.28 is coming along nicely. I have finished up on showing the running status of each Variance Trigger Thread and am now refining the Variance Triggers, as well as creating a new type of trigger-based recording.

The new type of trigger-based recording is done with a high value and a low value. Once either is passed or comes back from said value, the sensor data is recorded for that period.
For example. let’s say we monitor the temperature with a high of 30c and a low of -10c. If the temperature goes above 30 or below -10, the readings are recorded. If the value returns to normal later on, those readings are recorded. It records CHANGES of state only, reducing the required writes.

I have had issues with the HTTPS server freezing when going to the “Sensor Readings Page” when Trigger Variances are enabled. I’m thinking the constant reads are crashing a sensor or two. So with that in mind, I was thinking of creating an autotest for figuring out how long it takes to get sensor data from a sensor. Once the program has that number, it can use it to help set a minimum value for sensor retrieval intervals. I’m hoping that will help prevent overtaxing sensors and keep some crashes and freezes at bay. I’ll also create a report of direct sensor access times to help set proper times and see if a sensor is taking longer then it should.

In other news, I have been playing around with solar panels and batteries. I have 2x 100-watt panels + 1x 50-watt panel. I have tested the 100 watts panels in different environments with a single Pi Zero W to see how they might operate under poor conditions. First, I tried putting one in my window with very little direct sunlight, and it managed to keep the battery’s charge level during sunlight, which means it probably had enough power to keep my Pi going, but that was about it.
Next, I put one 100 watt panel in my back yard behind my shed, and it did fairly well there when the sun was out but as soon as clouds came and or shad from the trees fell, it didn’t do so well.
So it seems solar really does need direct sunlight with no obstacles to function well. That being said, I still have to test it with my lead-acid battery (used Lithium-Ion for tests), as it may be able to charge better with less sun. I guess the next 2 tests will be putting one in direct sunlight and my lead-acid behind the shed to see how well it does.

Leave a Comment

NOTE - You can use these HTML tags and attributes:
<a href="" title=""> <abbr title=""> <acronym title=""> <b> <blockquote cite=""> <cite> <code> <del datetime=""> <em> <i> <q cite=""> <s> <strike> <strong>